Saturday, August 31, 2013

Moderate religionists

I had an interesting experience with a Muslim taxi driver.  I had a flat tire on my Catrike.  It was caused by a pinch which resulted in 2 holes close to each other. Patches were not working. I decided to accept the expense of a taxi to my apartment for a spare tire and back. The taxi came in about 15 minutes. The trike would not fit in his van so it was going to be an expensive round trip. We initially talked about exercise. I asked if he used a gym. He said that he tried a gym but found that he was too unused to the openness of our culture. He did not seem to blame our culture. Rather he was not able to handle the amount of flesh visible in the gym. He indicated that he would use the treadmill a lot to hide his hardon. So he got a home gym.  He even said that his wife made some videos to motivate his workout. I decided to not ask about the content of the videos. It was clear that he came from a culture where women were required to wear more clothes than required here. But he was not expressing anything negative about our dress here. It was more about his limitations. We talked a while about exercise, bicycles and motorcycles. He seemed fairly moderate. Yet it also became clear that he was a practicing Muslim. Although I do not recall the context, he noted a couple of times about some of the ways which he managed to do the 5 daily prayers. Yet he was clearly a more modernized Muslim. But I did not want to find out his reaction to my nonbelief. For one, I needed his help. But it would also have seemed out of context. I certainly did not want to negatively affect his progress toward modernity.

No comments:

Post a Comment