Sunday, August 16, 2015

The Real, Part 1

I woke up to the realization that much of what I had believed to be parts of reality were actually results of collective and personal beliefs in false things.  That was a bit shocking and depressing. But I eventually got over the shock and depression and decided that I needed to do a reboot.  I needed to find a new starting point for my concept of reality.

After some misdirections, I came across physicalism.  There are various definitions and concepts.  But here is the part which is relevant for my new starting point.  The foundation of an investigation into reality should be the most consistent and testable foundation which can be determined. The most consistent and testable parts of reality are the physical parts.  So that's what I rebooted to.  I reset my perspectives to the purely physical.

Some people said that this too was not a valid starting point because we cannot really know that the physical is real.  But an investigation into reality needs to start somewhere.  So starting with the most consistent things seemed best.  Actually, I began with my perception of the most consistent things.

I think therefor I am or maybe I am therefor I think.  At any rate, the starting point became my perception of the physical.  At first, it was more what was written about perception.  Wow, what a minefield even that was.  I found that even people who seem well grounded in the physical have their flights of fancy and other fallacies mixed in with what they promote as reality.

(to be continued ...)

No comments:

Post a Comment