Thursday, June 3, 2021

A factor which has helped define my perspective on abortion

 I am glad to be alive. That being said, I had some quite rough periods in my life. A large factor was being raised in a household which was ill equipped to deal with raising children. If I were honest, I feel that my mother would have been justified if she decided to have an abortion. But that was not an option due to legality and religion. She was barely even involved with the details of my rearing. So a lot went wrong. I do not advocate my own death or for others born under bad circumstances. But my own upbringing has helped define my perspective on abortion.

Another factor is my brother. He has a mental condition which had made his life difficult. I love him and try to make him as comfortable as possible. He is now just capable of living on his own but is not able to support himself. He had spent years in "homes for the mentally handicapped" after my mother abandoned him. As described to me, his cognitive and emotional issues were evident even as a toddler. But nobody endeavored to figure out what was wrong. It was simpler to pass him on and pay him off. As a living being, he has a right to life, kindness, respect and so on. But this has also helped define my perspective on abortion. It has also clued me in that there is insufficient assistance for people who might live more fulfilled lives with a bit more guidance than is given. My brother even admits during his more lucid moments that he wished that people would have guided him in a different direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment